Supporting LGBTQ+ Youth is Violence Prevention Social Media Kit
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) people experience higher rates of sexual assault and intimate partner violence than do non-LGBTQ+ adults. This disparity not only starts in childhood — where studies show LGBTQ+ youth experience higher rates of child abuse and assault — but is rooted in childhood: children who experience adverse childhood experiences face higher adult victimization rates than children whose development is unaffected (or less affected) by trauma.
Two unique types of adverse childhood experiences LGBTQ+ youth face are anti-LGBTQ bullying at school and home. While these LGBTQ-specific problems likely raise the chances of subsequent adult victimization, they also present opportunities for prevention intervention.
The “Supporting LGBTQ+ Youth is Violence Prevention Social Media Toolkit” is designed to make it as easy as possible for victim service agencies, allied professionals, and other concerned individuals and organizations to undertake a public education and activation campaign designed to support LGBTQ children and youth and disrupt the path to lifelong victimization. The toolkit provides eye-catching, upload-ready posts for Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram that address six topics:
- Higher victimization rates for LGBTQ+ children, youth, and adults
- The lifelong impact of adverse childhood experiences (ACES) on victimization rates
- The connections between school- and home-based bullying and risk of violence
- How home-based bullying and conversion therapy practices affect LGBTQ+ children and youth
- What victim services providers can do to interrupt the higher LGBTQ+ victimization pathway
- What any adult can do to interrupt the higher LGBTQ victimization pathway
The toolkit also includes colorful and engaging images and text designed to directly support LGBTQ children and youth.
How to use this Social Media Toolkit
- Download the zipped files that contain all social media post text, graphics, and suggested hashtags. The zipped files include: three Microsoft Word files – specific to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram – with 36 social media posts; 36 images to correspond with the social media posts; and image file names correspond with the Word file post headers.
- Select the posts that most resonate with your work. (Feel free to alter the suggested post text to better meet your needs.
- Schedule or post throughout the year! All posts are relevant at any time and are not linked to any specific date.
- Include any or all of the suggested #hashtags, which will increase your reach and impact.
- Enjoy the positive impact your posts will make!
- Social Media Posts
- Social Media Graphics